Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Wish I Was at the MAC: Been There, Done That Edition


Look at us, it’s only the second post of this weekly installment and we’re already growing and changing. The 1-day painters class I planned to write about was canceled due to lack of interest, (guess I should have written about it sooner because it sounded fun) so I’m going to talk about something I have experienced (yay) that relates to an event this Thursday I can’t attend (boo).

If you’ve been to the MAC at all since January 10th, you’ve probably noticed the new art in the Corridor Galleries (along the halls in the basement, first and second floor). The artist, Beverly Darwin created these masterful pieces of art. Masterful is no understatement either. I’m not sure how long Darwin has been painting throughout her life, but she just received her BFA from the Columbus Collage of Art and Design in 2010.

I mean, look at it!


"Eye of God"

The subjects in Darwin’s art are inspired by places she’s traveled. Big Ben, Chinatown, desert landscape, and even Columbus all grace the MAC’s walls. Similar to our Main Gallery artist, Christine Guillot Ryan, Darwin is interested in the “symbolic, emotional, and psychological fragments” that we use to interpret our surroundings. Darwin uses mixed media to show the symbols and fragments she associates with the places she’s traveled.

"Romance Language"

Most media she includes give us an insight into how she sees these places in a subtle or clever (sometimes both) way. For example, "Western Sentinel, Colorado." In the painting of a fire hydrant amidst dry grass, matches are incorporated into the blades of grass, highlighting their flammability and relationship to the fire hydrant beyond location.

"Western Sentinel, Colorado"

In other paintings the connection is less clear, or harder to explain.

I’ve looked at her artwork a lot this past month. I go out of my way to walk down certain hallways just to look at some of my favorites and initially absorbing the vibrant, realistic images filled my belly with light. (total artistic review term right there) But honestly, since this exhibit and Fairytales & Finance have been on display, I’ve wondered: Is it possible for the stomach to release endorphins? Because that’s what it feels like when I look at their art.


"Desert Reef"

And if I wrote this review a month ago it would be titled: BELLY FULL OF LIGHT with just the images of her artwork between images of my smiling face. Looking at art can do that to a girl.

A month later, I’ve built up some immunity to that overwhelming feeling. It was fun while it lasted, but now my less fried brain can look at the media Darwin includes in each piece and interact with it. Instead of being blown away by her talent, I look at the details she’s added and wonder, “What does that mean?” Why use fabric there instead of paint?

"Moored, BVI"

And I don’t always have an answer, but it’s a fun idea to explore. I like what Darwin and Ryan are asking of us when they present their mixed media art with the question of fragments and perception and how they combine to make up our reality. 

I’ve read that one of the most important things art is supposed to do is change the way we see. I think that’s what’s happening when I look at Darwin’s art now and that’s kind of cool.

Whether you’ve already seen some of her work, or haven’t, or would like to meet Beverly Darwin and ask her what’s with those clown fish in the desert, come to the reception this Thursday from 5-6:30pm.

P.S. I apologize for the late post, adding as many photos as I did overwhelmed the wifi and made posting a much slower process than I would have liked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment